Monday, February 3, 2014

Just a bit about my favorite little Indian family...and the temple.

Happy February!

We met with Steven and his wife this past week. They are an Indian family with a 13 year old daughter and a 17 month old son. They moved from South Africa about 17 years ago; their ancestors have been slaves there for hundreds of years. We started talking to Steven on the street about a week and a half ago, and he said we could go visit with him. We taught them the Restoration on Saturday and invited them to baptism. They said they would like to come to church once or twice before they decide to be baptized. They told us they were extremely open, and their biggest concern was being accepted by the members of the church since they are Indian. They came to church on Sunday, and Steven told me, "Before I came, I thought the Mormons wouldn't accept us. Now that I have come I see that it is very different than I thought!" They seemed to really enjoy church, and we are looking forward to going back to meet with them again this week!

We were able to go to the temple this week, and it was sweet! It didn't turn out the way we thought though. We got there kind of late, and so we had to change really quick. We realized Elder Ure had a short sleeve shirt on, so he had to grab a spare and try to change really quick. I was the last one before Elder Ure to go into the session, and so I told the workers that there was one more person behind me. It turns out that they closed the doors right before Elder Ure was changed, so he wasn't able to make it into the session. Instead, he just did initiatories for about 2 hours. He wasn't too bummed about it, but I felt pretty bad! I was able to do some sealings as a son after the session. They asked me if I had ever done it before, and I said, "Yeah, when I was 2!" It was nice to be able to get back to the temple after a couple of months without it.

Love you all!

Elder Nielsen

No comments:

Post a Comment