Monday, August 25, 2014

Redding, CA

So, I am now in the great city of Redding, CA! I am really enjoying it here so far. We have a truck for our mode of transportation, and it is so awesome! I am kind of out of practice with driving, since I have been riding a bike most every day for about a year. We cover the Redding 5th ward, as well as the Shasta YSA. We cover 2 stakes worth of area overall, but we usually just stay in the city of Redding.

We don't have a whole lot of investigators to work with right now, but I am looking forward to doing what we can to find the people who have been prepared for us to find them. We are helping people become reactivated mostly right now, and the ward is helping a number of people in that area. I am really enjoying how the ward is working together in this ward. They are very unified, and the members of the ward understand their purpose to reach out and bless others.

I was asked to give a talk in sacrament meeting this past week. I didn't end up giving it because the speakers before me went long, but I am going to speak next week instead. I was asked to speak on how we show our love for God. I pretty much boiled my talk down to the topic of service, and I really enjoyed preparing for it. I was really able to increase my understanding of what the Gospel has done for me, and what it can continue to do for me.

One of the biggest things I got out of preparing the talk is how the way we treat others really is the essence of the Gospel. I see that one of the main purposes of the Gospel is to help us become more like our Savior and to treat others how he treated them. It really made me think how I have treated others in the past, and how I want to treat others in the future. I want to say that I gave my life in helping others feel better about themselves, just like the Savior did. I know
I am not there yet, but I am going to use a quote that I have loved for years to help me.

"You become who you want to be by
consistently being who you want to
become each day."

I choose to be like the Savior!

Love you guys! Have a great week!

Keeping it real in Redding,
Elder Nielsen

No comments:

Post a Comment